Is 9.5 pounds avarge weight for a cat and is a cat who is over ten pounds considered too fat?

My Nellie is close 10 pounds already and she is ten months old now. I keep reading that a cat shouldnt weigh over 10 pounds, Nellie is a big cat. She is also a domestic short hair. People also tell me that 9.5 is too fat for her and she needs too lose weight. Is a cat being over ten pounds considered to fat and is 9.5 pounds considered too fat?

Best Answers

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    Accepted Answer
    It really depends on the cat and his or her body build and breed (some breeds are much larger than others i.e. male Ragdolls and Maine Coons). The best one to give you an answer would be your vet. Sebastian and I are both now slightly over 10 pounds and the vet said that we should not gain or lose any more weight. My advice, ask your vet.
  • patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    Like the other poster said it depends on your cat. Nellie is still a kitten and is still growing. If you can feel their ribs easily then they are not overweight. When she is full grown ask you vet what he/she thinks is her best weight.
  • Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooeleMember Posts: 1,805
    Accepted Answer
    greenlee is 10 months old, she weighs about 12.5 lbs. when we took her to the vet a 8 months old she weighed 10 pounds. the vet said she was a very chunky little girl. i think it really depends on the cat breed, some cats are really big and weigh alot such as the maine coon. i would take her to the vet and just have them get her ideal weight, then work down or up towards the ideal weight. kobe is overweight and we have cut his food down by alot, after we took him in to get his ideal weight. after you get your kittens ideal weight feed a food like wellness or evo....whatever food you choose DO NOT get suckered in if your vet sales and recommends science diet. it just has too much grain and by products and it will make your cat obese. good luck!! [o:
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    As the others say there is a wide range in sizes and build of cats and their proper weight for a female cat can be anything from 5-15lb depending on that. For some of the big breeds 20+ could be normal. The best way to assess if your cat is th eappropriate weight is to use a body condition chart like this one http://beneful.be/cats/health/BodyCondition.aspx It shows you what to look for and its easy to use to figure out if your cat is too fat/thin irregardless of their size/breed/frame.