Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Is it safe not to have a female house cat fixed if the cat never goes outside?

Kevin RubyKevin Ruby BaltimoreMember Posts: 6

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    No, she should be spayed. If she sneaks out the door even "just for 5 minutes" she's guaranteed to come home pregnant. Also spaying greatly reduces her chances of "female problems" such as breast cancer, eliminates annoying heat cycles, and eliminates the chance of pyometra (a life threatening uterine infection). She will be a happier, healthier pet if she is spayed. Please have her spayed.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    If you don't have her fixed she'll go into heat every few weeks and will be totally focussed on escaping to find tom cats. As the other poster says she'll also be more likely to get breat cancer and ovarian cancer. Better to get her fixed and she'll be calmer and more friendly and much happier as an indoor cat.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I'm a novice breeder of Maine Coons and have four unfixed females and one unfixed male. Obviously, you can't breed cats if they are desexed. But other cats I own and consider "pets" are spayed/neutered. The breeder cats will be "fixed" at around five years of age. I am not sure, but I seem to have heard that if your female cats are bred once or twice a year (and this should only apply to purebred cats--the world doesn't need more moggies), the hormones that lead to various health problems will calm down. But pregnancy and nursing are very hard on Momcat--she will look like a skeleton and have an enormous appetite. Unless you have a really good reason for putting your cat in danger of getting pregnant, I would advise spaying.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    As the others have stated, there are so many health benefits from spaying in addition to the behavioral ones. I go through so much stress on the day of the surgery each time one of my girls is spayed but in the end it is so worth it because I know she will never have the discomfort of constantly going into heat and will never risk ovarian or uterine problems in her lifetime. My house has double doors so there is no risk anybody will ever sneak out any further than the mud porch without being caught. But it's the best thing to do for their health even if there is no risk of pregnancy.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Linus, Sassy and Leila are right. I've actually see cats chew and claw through drywall to get out to mate. They howl all night, become restless and aggressive to their people and other animals, are more likely to mark (spray) with urine and feces in your house and as was said, there is always the chance that she can slip out unknown to you. Most cities have low-cost or free spay/neuter programs. Call a local shelter, or even vets who know where they're located. I had Izzie neutered for $28 at one a few years ago. I know his chances of male cancers has decreased dramatically, he's a "nicer boy" and even though I'd love to see how his kittens would have turned out, for every kitten who's born there are at least a hundred waiting in a shelter to be adopted who probably never will be.
  • Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    I'm very glad you asked, it means that you have been thinking about and weighing your risks. But let me tell you, Its best to get them fixed. Like others have said, it only takes her getting out once or sneaking outside for 5 minutes to become pregnant. You would not believe how many unwanted litters are born each year, and if I only had a dollar for everytime I heard "she only got out once". Along with the risk of mammary cancer and ovarian cancers, you run the risk of infections like Pyometra which are very serious and can be life threatening. Also, a cat in heat is VERY Annoying!! Who would want to put up with that when they didn't have to? So yes, you should get her fixed. If money is an issue, there are low cost spay/neuter clinics.
  • lynn hulingslynn hulings pittsburghMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    No,It's not safe..Just Monday (5/10/10) I took my "Presious" to the vet.I picked her up as a stray 7ys. ago.I never got her spayed because I felt I was keepig her inside.She has now developed "pyometra" and if I cannot get $1500-$2200 I will have to get her put to sleep......Please get her spayed for her sake & yours.I'm feeling very guilty & blaming myself for her getting this horrible infectionin her uterous.