i have seperated them

amber foxamber fox tucsonMember Posts: 3
hello i have sepersted them she stays in my room and he is in another room thank you for the advice i did not know now i just have to find how to pay for it i do have a question he did mont her twice but we sepersted them fast am i safe i have been trying vary hard to keep them seperate thank you for the advice and im willing to take more if you

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Good that you have separated them until you can get them spayed/neutered. As far as the mounting, if there was any penetration then yes, she will probably be pregnant. Cats are highly fertile and intercourse actually causes ovulation in female cats - virtually guaranteeing pregnancy. If she is pregnant, you will need to decide if you want to let her have the kittens and try to find homes for them, or vets can do pregnant spays which would also be an abortion. If you are sure the mounting was only within the last 24-48 hours, a vet might be able to prescribe medicine to prevent pregnancy... but will require a vet visit. Since she has been exposed to an unaltered male, I would say the probability of pregnancy is extremely high.
  • Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooeleMember Posts: 1,805
    Accepted Answer
    good for you! [o: maybe your not as irresponsible as i thought you were... i think i owe you an apology, i'm really sorry! i am sorry for assuming you were irresponsible. i also have been meaning to apologize but i just kept forgetting PLUS i am not on catster as much as dogster.. once again i'm really sorry.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Karma may or may not be pregnant. If she is, please give her nutritious food (kitten food is fine) and prepare yourself for her birthing kittens via the Internet--including, of course, Catster. The biggest problem is finding homes for the kittens. Force them on your relatives and friends, if necessary. Do not relinquish them to a shelter, if at all possible. Good luck!
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    It's possible she may be pregnant ffrom when he mounted her but hopefully not. Keeping them separated is a great 1st step. Since money is tight, your best bet is to get her fixed first as the vets can do that early in a pregnancy with no risk to the mother. If it is possible to borrow the money from a family member or get an advance at work to pay for her to get spayed in the next week or two that would mean you have no risk of kittens. You can then pay back your family member/boss as you are able and start to save up for his neuter op. If he has to wait a month or two that's OK as you won't have to worry about Karma having kittens.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    If Tye is only 6 months old, then there is a good chance he is just "shooting blanks" so to speak. He may not be capable of getting her pregnant yet. If you are lucky, he didn't. I know my breeder's new male was not ready until he was almost a year old even though he tried. And I am sorry too if we offended you but you did come across as intending to intentionally mate your cats. There are so many homeless kittens out there already and so many clueless people making more. It may be less expensive to get him fixed first. I know that at my vet that male neuter is about half the cost of the spay. I can also tell you that my vet costs are about $300 for a spay but the Humane Society does it for $75. So there are definitely low cost options out there. Petsmart and Petco often advertise low cost spay/neuter clinics too.