Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

About the Answers/ for Question about colors of kittens/

Hi Allie I was going to wait until she got a older if we decided to let them mate still going through the pro's and con's yet I was going to have them both fixed here in March but thought about letting Charlotte getting a change to be a Mommy first so I am still not sure yet I have talked with our Vet about this and She said either way is fine letting her have a litter then getting her fixed . I dont want to get a pet from a Shelter.... I want my own Cat to have her own litter I have been through enough with getting Charlotte from a Barn and Shadow from being born outside .They both have page here at Catster so anyways thank you all for the advise here and we have enough income to provide care for our cats as well if she did have kittens anyways thanks again for the advise and help Debbie

Best Answers

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I had kittens and they are still with me they're 4yrs now. The problem the human had was getting the kittens to wean, and I took awhile to realise I was their mother and the duties I had to do. BUT when it came to weaning I couldn't stop. Then it was getting me spayed before I'd go into heat again. the kittens kept trying to nurse on my surgery site. The human had to lock us up in different rooms, BOY!! were we noisy. The human adored the time when they were young (she still loves us to bits). She would love to do it again but knows not to, as we can't have more in the house. Charlotte may have 4 or 5 kittens, And she may strike problems, I did. I was lucky my human studied vet nursing and worked in clinics so luckily was able to save D and Sam if she wasn't there, none of us would be here today) Sam & D didn't break through the sac was lifeless when the human intervened. The 3rd stuck, even the human couldn't get it out (the shoulder was stuck inside We went to the vets at 1am. $$$
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I know what you mean about being leery of shelter cats. I have had a number of semi-feral cats who simply didn't make good pets. Many shelter cats have good personalities, but come complete with various parasites and diseases. Purebred cattery cats can also have worms or other health problems. Healthy cats raised in a loving home are generally a better bet. But I also agree with Raza. Usually cats have easy births that don't need human intervention, but in the three litters that my budding cattery has produced so far, one litter were all healthy, one litter had three casualties (two were stillborn), and the most recent litter produced one kitten who simply died one day. And yes, I've done my research on cat birth. Neither of the Momcats were proactive about litter box training, and I had to deal with Tootsie-Rolls and mysterious puddles on the floor for a while. Weaning was easy with the first two litters, but my latest litter has 2 holdouts who refuse to eat kibble.
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    Accepted Answer
    I have a question about where you intend on getting a 'stud' if you do insist on breeding your cats. You will need to obtain a cat whose health status you are 100% sure of. Please don't allow them to go out and mate willy nilly, as they could bring home all sorts of things- fleas, FIV, FeLV etc. Also, I know you said you can provide for their care, but are you truly aware of the costs? There is a good chance the litter will have 4-5 kittens. They'll need three vaccines each, a microchip and desexing. It wouldn't be right for you to access low cost services given that you intentionally bred the kittens. So you'd be looking at around $1000 for vaccines, $200 for microchips and upwards of $500 for desexing. When you factor in food, worming, flea prevention, toys, litter etc, you'll be looking at at least $2000 in the first few months. I would also suggest seeing a second vet. I'd worry about one who wasn't actively cautioning you against a litter, despite the payday ahead.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Debbie- I don't see Charlotte and Shadow's pages anymore. I hope we didn't drive you away but as you can see, many of us feel pretty strongly about not contributing to the cat overpopulation problem. Good luck with whatever decision that you make.