how are labs drawn on a cat

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Assuming you mean blood work, they can take it from a vein in the neck which would provide a larger sample or from the back leg using a needle the same way a human blood sample is drawn.
  • Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    It depends on what kind of labs you are talking about. Blood is taken from a vein with a needle. Urine is usually taken by a needle too that they insert through the tummy into the bladder. Urine samples can be taken other ways too or just collected from a litter box (using a non-absorbable litter). Fecal samples are taken much like a temperature is done, however the stick has a loop on the end that collects a small amount of poop.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I'm glad that Allie and Charlie figured out what you meant--I was imagining cats with drawings of Labrador Retrievers on their sides (seriously!). In Japan, the routine for blood and urine samples is the same as in the U.S., but if you haven't brought a fresh fecal sample (within 24 hours) in a Baggie, the vet is likely to take the cat's temperature with a rectal thermometer, and use whatever is stuck on the thermometer to check for parasites, etc. I assume that you are asking about blood work, but just in case you are also asking about fecal samples, do be prepared to take one to your vet. If you have a multi-cat household, it may be difficult to distinguish between whose poop belongs to whom. Putting the affected cat in a room with a separate litter box can solve the problem. Sorry for the lame answer...