Tail Problems

On Friday, my cat was not holding her tail up. It felt swollen at the base and she appeared to uncomfortable, but continued to eat/use bathroom. She was very clingy all weekend. Come Monday, she began holding her tail up again and returned to her usual self, romping through the house and playing. She now has a hard knot on the bottom side of her tail at the base. Any ideas on what happened. I would have taken her to the vet on Monday, but now she appears fine. I am not sure what to do.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    We are not vets here and cannot diagnose or suggest treatment for your cat, especially not knowing her, what happened or seeing the knot at the base of her tail. It could be a blood clot, a rupture,an infection, etc. If you want a suggestion about what to do, 90% of the people who answer questions regularly here on Catster will advise you to take her to the vet, just to set your mind at east. Anytime there is a lump anywhere there shouldn't be, it's always adviseable to check with the professionals who can examine her hands-on and advise you on treatment.
  • patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie is right, your kitty needs to go to the vet. This could be something serious.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the others and you should take her to the vet. That is a prime spot for getting bitten by another cat while running away from the aggressor cat and that can cause an abscess which is really painful. A vet will be able to confirm what it is and if it is an abscess they'll be able to drain it and give her antibiotics before it gets really serious. There's other stuff it could be like a fractured tail etc and all potential causes are reason to see a vet for treatment. I volunteer at the SPCA and a cat came in who'd been bitten on the thigh next to his tail. It didn't get treated and he ended up having to have surgery and had a big scar. Luckily he recovered completely and got adopted to a nice new home.