Why does my cat walk on her back legs instead of her paws

my cats started walking on ber back legs instead of her back paws. She does walk on her front paws. Could this have something to do with her weight.

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Kibbles is a pretty kitty! Yes, she does look a bit heavy, but you only have one photo of her, so it's hard to tell. Honestly, this is a question for your vet. Any unusual behavior should be addressed by a pro (we're not vets here). If she needs to lose weight, get your vet to calculate how many calories she needs per day, and how long it should take her to achieve the desired weight (dieting too fast can cause a fatal liver condition). If you don't have a vet, or your vet is not able to address your problem, find another vet. Yes, times are tough right now. But she's been with you for many years--she's your child. Try to find the money. Some vets take installment plans. Shelters can give you advice about cheap vets. Many purrs and prayers.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    I also think you should get a vet check. Just being fat usually doesn't make cats walk like that. Jester was about the same size as Kibbles and always walked on her toes/feet However there are some medical issues that could cause her to have weak back legs or have neuralogical issues that can cause that. If she is also drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot it's really important to see the vet in case she has diabetes or kidney issues and may need meds or special food. Kibbles isn't really old yet but older cats with arthritis can also get stiff/weak rear ends that can affect their walking. Glocosamine chondroitin supplements can really help arthritis in cats. A vet will be able to check her out and figure out what is going on and if she needs to lose weight or has any illnesses or athritis. If you don't have a vet already try to find one who is experienced with cats and they'll be able to figure out what is going on with Kibbles.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There is a human neurological disease called Guillain-Barre syndrome that causes people to do what your cat is doing. It's almost like these people don't know where their feet are. In people, the disease can also cause hallucinations. If your cat is showing any other strange symptoms, I would absolutely take her to the vet. I don't think that Guillain-Barre is a feline disease, but chances are cats can contract something like it. Whatever it is, it's not normal and she needs to be seen by a veterinary professional.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    First, you need to get your cat to a vet for a diagnosis, and a diet. Your vet will work with you on what food is best for your cat to lose a little weight. Second, Guillain-Barre syndrome is believed to be caused by an autoimmune response to some type of viral infection or vaccine in humans. The exact cause is not known. It is characterized by abrupt and rapid onset of muscle weakness and paralysis. This does not sound like anything your cat is suffering from (as the one poster mentioned). You just need to get a diagnosis from your vet. Good luck with your kitty.