Do over the counter flea medience cause adverse reactions?

Nellie AlexisNellie Alexis IndianapolisMember Posts: 30
I keep hearing that over counter flea and tick products cause adverse reactions. I tried zodiac flea and tick for cats and when i put on nellie she didnt get sick or anything. And its the same cheap brand that like all of the others. So do otc flea and tick cause adverese rection?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    They do not always cause an adverse reaction. They are just much more likely to have bad side effects than the good ones you get at the vet and are far less effective at controlling fleas & ticks. They are all available on the internet and at most pet supply stores anyway so you are better off using things like Frontlike or Advantage than wasting time and money on the Wal-Mart quality ones.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Most of the time they work OK but they can cause serious reactions in some cats. I took my cat to the vet a couple of weeks ago and there was a cat that had collapsed and had a paralysed rear end a couple of days after using an OTC flea med. The vet had cleaned the stuff off and they were hoping that the cat would gradually get better. That's pretty unusual but the problem is that when there are problems they can be life threatening
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Only once have I had a cat with fleas. That was a long time ago, and I don't remember what she got from the vet, but she never had fleas after that. She was the only indoor/outdoor cat I've had since. I don't know your economic situation, but a trip to the vet and prescription meds is the best idea. Do remember that even indoor cats can catch fleas from fleas who have attached themselves to your own clothing, or from rodents in your house. Vet meds are safer and more effective. However, when I adopted a former feral, he had been treated with either Frontline or Advantage--I've forgotten which. This gave ME an allergic reaction. So be prepared for that possibility. But do go to the vet. And good luck.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    There are a few OTC flea meds that were recalled (Hartz is one of them). I would not advise using any flea medications on your cat unless you get it through your vet. Advantage is a good one to use.