i got a kitten 7 months from a rescue center, they say she was a stray, she's very thin ,has been dr

was seen by a vet befor she left rescue center they say she is well

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Take the cat back to the rescue and ask for it to be examined again. If they still give you a clean bill of health (in writing), go to your own vet for a second opinion (on the same day). If your vet says the cat is sick, I would go after the rescue center for reimbursement of your vet bill. Hopefully, your kitty is not sick and is just going through a "readjustment period". Good luck.
  • patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    The other poster gives good advice. I don't know how long you have had her, but if it's only been a couple of days, she might need more time to adjust. Your home is her first house and this is different to her. If she is the only kitty, she is used to having other kitties to play with. Chances are she was not petted at the rescue center either so she is not used to humans wanting to love on her. Once you establish that she is well, give her time to adjust to her new life.
  • Sharon RhodesSharon Rhodes Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Your cat might have anemia. You just described my cat's symptoms & she became critically anemic last week . She was not alert, lethargic, wouldn't eat, wanted to hide under bed, loosing weight & it hurt her to pick her up. My cat's gums were WHITE not PINK when I took her to the vet & so he tested her & found her body was quickly losing red blood cells. He said could be autoimmune or parasites & so he is treating her with shots daily of antibiotics & steroids (since I can't get pills down her). She was too weak for a blood transfusion & the vet didn't think she would live more than a day or two but I used a syringe to get water & liquid whey protein every 30 minutes while we waited on the meds to work and now she is now doing much better and eating food. The vet also gave me some Nutri-Cal that is high in calories & vitamins & keeps animals alive give that with a syringe. I give with syringe too. It is like molasses and she really likes it. She gets new blood test tomorrow.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Shelters do the best they can with the animals they have in their care, but very often they are so overwhelmed with animals and do not have the resources to do extensive testing. When anyone adopts an animal, it's always a good idea, with a day or two, to have your own vet examine your new family member. When adopting a cat, you should already have a vet interviewed, chosen and on-board to take your cat to for a complete examination, including blood tests. If the shelter demands that, if they are to pay if your cat becomes ill, then take the cat back to the shelter and ask for a more complete examination. Tell them about your cat's symptoms and be prepared to advocate for your cat. A "depressed" animal is more than likely suffering from some medical issues and need a more extensive exam. This is a case where "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and you may have to make some demands for a diagnosis for your kitty. Good luck!