I had an 8 month old kitten and she died in just a few hours......

My kitten died on Tuesday! She was healthy and happy FIV FELV neg had all her shots ect. She seemed Monday to have a lack of energy and then I noticed some petechial hemmorhages in her ears but thought her and my other cat had been playing to rough. He bit her ear one time before, She went under my bed around 3 30. Around I noticed there was some vomit on the floor but with two cats and a dog it happens. So Fire did not come out to eat dinner which I found really odd but not badly enough that it made me dig her out from under my bed. She was still there at 5 am so I got up and she was moving around under there. 6 am my husband woke me up and said she was in the hall way and something was wrong, she could not move!. I got her to the vet and she could not be saved. Her body temp was 97 her Crit ( red blood count) was 4% and after a close look she had petechial hemmorrhages all over her body, there are no anticoagulants in my house what killed my little kitty?

Best Answers

  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry for your loss. Without an autopsy, you may never get a definite answer to your question. I would ask your vet what he/she thinks may have killed your kitten. Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of Fire.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You have our sympathy for the loss of your furbaby. Linus is right. Without an autopsy, there is really no positive way to tell what happened. I would like to caution you that it sounds like your kitten may have been poisoned. You may want to check around your home to make sure there are no poisonous plants, and if your animals spend time out of doors, nothing they could get into outside. If your other animals are adults, chances are they may only vomit, but in a young kitten, one of these substances could prove fatal.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I am so very sorry for your loss. But as the other posters have suggested, was there anything poisonous around the house? By the way, rat poison is an anticoagulant which could cause the symptoms you have reported. What did your vet think it was? Please check around your house for any dangers or poisons in order to protect your other animals. Again, my condolences on the loss of your kitty.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!