Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Going away need advice!

Member Posts: 1
my bf and i recently got a 6 month old kitten. he is great! we recently went away for a weekend and had our super check in on him everyday and spend time with him. But on the second day she said he was lonely looking and not playing as much. I dont think he liked spending the night alone. We have plans this summer to go away on weekends a few times. My question is should we get another cat so he is not as lonely at nights or just keep having our friend check in on him?

Best Answers

• Kellyann CookeKellyann Cooke Member Posts: 373
    Accepted Answer
    A companion animal may not be the best way to go - how about a pet sitter? In your home - if you can't afford to board him. Even if someone is checking in - you may want to leave a radio on for him - the background noise can be comforting - but interaction is still important. And don't forget to leave a light on at night - cats can't see in complete darkness - contrary to popular belief. I know it can be heart breaking to think your little one is lonely. Try to find someone who can spend a lot of time with him while you are gone.
  • Quin WilliamsQuin Williams Member Posts: 42
    Accepted Answer
    My rule of thumb is if one cat is happy by itself, then just have someone come "visit" while you are out of town. If you want another cat, then get one, most young cats and kittens like another cat around. It is totally up to you.
  • Kate BKate B Member Posts: 42
    Accepted Answer
    Don't get another cat specifically to keep him company during your vacations. Now if you wanted 2 cats, that's a different matter. While you're on vacation, either get a pet sitter (could be at your house or their's) or take him to a reputable kennel. Also, if this was the first time you've let him alone during the nights, then he might get use to it as he matures. He'll recognize that you always return and be sure to give him a reward for his good behavior.