deworming pregnant cat

Member Posts: 1
can i give my pregnant cat over the counter deworming medicine

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    I would not give anything to a pregnant cat without a vet's approval. Also, over the counter deworming medicine is not as good or effective as the prescription medications you can get from your vet. I would schedule a vet appointment, bring a fecal sample, and discuss your concerns with your vet. I would also like to suggest the mother be spayed after she weans her family. Please discuss spaying her with your vet as well.
  • Shannon StipeShannon Stipe Huntington BeachMember Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    My female cat is pregnant too and just took her to the vet and found out she had tape worms and he said to wait till after she has the kittens to treat her but I think its different if they are round worms. You can call your vet and they will tell you over the phone I'm sure.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    You don't explain when and how you got a pregnant cat. Breeders deworm before having their queen mated. As other posters have said, this is a question for your vet, and vet deworming meds are cheap and effective, so don't go with OTC medications. A Momcat can pass on roundworms to her kittens through her milk. The Main Coons I bought from my breeder all had roundworms thanks to his not treating Momcat. Roundworms are easily gotten rid of; I don't know about other kinds of parasites. Anyway, make sure that you have a vet on board for the various questions that crop up when you have a pregnant/lactating cat. Good luck.