Should I get my cat retested for felv?

Member Posts: 1
She was a stray when I rescued her at 7 weeks and at this time she tested negative for felv but positive for fiv. When I went to get her spayed at 6 months she tested negative for fiv but positive for felv! She had not been exposed to any other cats during this time. She is now a little over a year old and I want to know if I should retest her or not.

Best Answers

• patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    It probally is a good ideat to get her tested again. You would feel better knowing if she has any of the two and it would be a good idea for her health. Sometimes when a cat can comes up positve for either they recommend one or two more testing to make sure.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think it is really necessary to have your cat re-tested for feline leukemia, especially if she has not been in contact with other cats. If you are still worried and your cat gets sick for some unknown reason, then have her retested. Consult with your vet at your cat's next visit and see what he/she thinks.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree 100% with Sadie. It's a simple blood test that won't break the bank. The peace of mind you'll get when she tests negative will be worth the time and money invested.
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    Accepted Answer
    Ok so lets make this simple the tests are not always 100 % so sometimes they have you retest 6 months later to be sure. I had a FIV FELV + cat with two other cats one was testing - but I knew shed been bitten by him once so I had to get her retested twice as they said too even if the cats exposed they dont show up positive sometimes for up to a yr. (think old school hiv/aids testing same thing) and finally 3rd test she was +. We also kept them in separate houses too so we knew it hadnt happened in that yr but the one time before. My 3rd cat was never + for either and lived with both positive cats for yrs retested at 12 yrs old I think still was -. So see there is sometimes a rare chance a cat will get it and show up later, or never get it and have a false + or - but its always best to be safe.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Coming from experience, I would re-test. Two of my cats (Chloe and Sable) initially tested negative for the virus, only to test positive several years later. Both were indoor only cats, but because they were both rescued off of the streets, the virus could have been lying dormant before coming out.
  • Lynn MayneLynn Mayne Member Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    I understand your concern, it's hard when you get different results. I recently tamed a feral cat in our neighborhood with the hope of finding him a home but he tested positive for FeLV. I asked the vet about the possibility of false positive results & he said that while that can be normal under 6 months for FIV, a false positive for FeLV is unusual. I got the kitten fixed and am trying to find him a home now while he is living in my yard. I was concerned about my own cats who had limited interaction with the kitten and my vet's question put everything in perspective for me. Would testing my cats change how I treated them? Would I be willing to let any of them go? Absolutely not! So why worry was his response!So ask yourself if knowing if she was positive make a difference to you in how you treat her or any other cats you have? If not try not to worry about it and enjoy her. Some cats never show symptoms and live a long healthy life. Retest if knowing would make you feel better