Cat with orange faeces?

My cat has had diarrhea for the past two weeks. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and was told it was probably worms, and that she has a touch of mastitis. I gave her a worming tablet the same day and was given antibiotics for her mastitis. She still has diarrhea now, and since Thursday, it's been bright orange. My first thought was that she'd snuck some food from the kitchen with food colouring in it. The only thing I can think of is one of those pre-made pasta bake sauces, which we had on Wednesday night. Would that really last more than a day? I'm not sure if it's still orange, because she hasn't done her business today yet. Is there anything else it could be? Should the diarrhea be gone by now if it was worms? I don't want to rush her back to the vet needlessly, it stresses her out. However, I'm pretty worried about how all this might effect her kittens. They're only 3 weeks old, so she's still nursing them. I can't call the vet until Monday, so any help is really appreciated.

Best Answers

• Laura Cat LadyLaura Cat Lady CaliforniaMember Posts: 70
    Accepted Answer
    Now that it's Wednesday, I hope you got some answers from your vet, but I would assume that medications can change the color, smell and consistency of cat poop, since it can do it for human poop. Hopefully the orange is just a side effect of the worming tab or antibiotics. I don't think the diarrhea would go away immediately, mainly because I think the de-worming meds would act to flush out all the toxins from the body. But you are right to be concerned about how this would affect the kittens. If you haven't talked to your vet by now, do it as soon as possible. I have to admit, though, that when a vet says an animal "probably" has worms instead of doing a definitive test to determine whether it has worms, I might seek a different vet...
  • Karen KriegerKaren Krieger VancouverMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Hello, it's now 2013 and I'd like to comment about orange diarrhea. My 10yo DMH mix has had soft stool for most of his life. I've cut out wheat & corn, which helps somewhat. However, about 3 weeks ago he start wet diarrhea that is "brick orange," not red, my best description. It smells like meatloaf with sauce, or spicy Mexican food. (Just sayin'!) His bumhole is hot pink and irritated, slightly swollen, and he growls & yowls when cleaning himself, poor kid. His temps have been mostly normal, with 101.6F 3 days after start of meds. Over the last week the vet ran labwork (mostly normal except for increased WBC) and wondered if he might have giardiasis, since he's outside during the day. Vet prescribed Flagyl (metronizadole), an antiprotozoal, & Panacur (Fenbendazole), a broad spectrum wormer. I wanted to offer my story of orange diarrhea. I'm surveying my neighbors re: any toxins they might have left open. (Roof moss spray, etc.) I do hope your cat has recovered nicely!