My mama cat Sasha has fleas and 5 1 week old kittens.Can I use Frontline or something like it on her

Karen DurandKaren Durand Cherokee VillageMember Posts: 1
We usually use a Frontline type product on our cats, but I did not give Sasha her dose when I knew she was just days from delivering. I was worried about the kittens being affected by chemical in mama's system. Now they have fleas. We bathed them in Dawn and we change out their bedding frequently. I have not given Sasha her Frontline afraid of hurting babies yet. We need to do something about this. Read to use Borax under bedding, of course not leave it there. Is that the best way to control this, or can I put a Frontline like product on Sasha while she is still nursing the babies?

Best Answer

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I would call the vet on this one. I personally would not use Frontline on any cat, as my cat (who has since passed away) used to have seizures within 24 hours of using this product. The manufacturer said it was coincidental. I don't think so as it happened on three different occasions. I now use Advantage on my cat and an old stray in the neighborhood and have had no problems. I don't know about using flea products on any nursing mother. Try bathing the cats and washing all of their bedding and then vacuum the entire house real good. You need to control the fleas in the environment as well as on the cat. Don't use borax around the kittens. You do, however, need to get this problem under control as fleas can cause anemia in those young kittens and that could be life threatening. If any kitten appears lethargic, get it to the vet ASAP! Best of luck with the flea problem and the kitties.