Ear mites or no ear mites?

When we got my cat, he had ear mites in both of his ears. We've been treating him, and he has basically stopped shaking his head and scratching his ears. But when I look in his ears i still see dryish black brown stuff. Could there still be ear mites, and should we take him to the vet?

Best Answers

• Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angelesMember Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    yes, definitely you should take a trip to the vet and they will probably give him another dose of the milbemite stuff. When I got Kitty Pryde she had ear mites and even though she wasn't scratching anymore, the vet still treated her three times before it totally cleared. What my vet told me to do too was to wipe her ears with a warm washcloth, not drentched but just damp. She actually is really fond now of "washcloth" baths =) the thing is if ear mites are still there, even a little, it can lead to deafness if not treated and is highly contagious to other household pets so I think its just better to be safe. Not sure how your vet works, but if I have a follow up to previous visits its waaay cheaper so maybe if that's a concern you can ask when you call if they do that Good luck! *purrrrs

Kitty Pryde and Jack

• Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    When I took the new cats to their first vet visit, she checked their ears first. She said that they probably had ear mites and recommended Revolution every three weeks for 9 weeks. I followed the schedule and every week the brownish-black stuff got less and less. It's been 12 weeks (approx) now and their ears are clear. The vet said Revolution also helped protect against fleas and heart worms. On top of that, she takes a dog dose and breaks it down into 9 syringes to make it work for cats. She only charges for the 1 dog dose so it works out to be much cheaper for me. I plan to continue with monthly applications.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Sometimes ear mites lead to secondary infections. That happened to me, so we went back to the vet who prescribed the original meds, who after examining my ears realized that the meds irritated my ears, so she prescribed a medicated wash to clear up the infection. Also, if you are treating your cat with over the counter stuff, it's likely not working as well as you think it is. Most of that stuff is useless. So yes, by all means take him to the vet if he has not seen one yet, to get medication that actually works, and if he's already been seen once, call them, explain the problem, and have the vet perform a followup exam to determine whether he has a secondary infection. P.S. - When in doubt whether to go to the vet or not, we find that it pays to just go in.