My Siamese kitten who has been spayed seems to be chubby& stocky.feed her IAMS. Why is she chubby? A

Jasmine is stocky built & has even shorter legs & longer, shorter fur than any other Siamese I have had or seen. (My other one is very muscular and slim.) And so was my late one. She is a registered Chocolate point. Have not taken her to the vet. Am I overfeeding her?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You don't say how old she is. As she grows into adulthood, she may slim down. This may also just be her body type. If she is active, playful and well-socialized, there's really no reason to take her to the vet. If you notice that she continues to put on weight and doesn't seem to be eating that much, or if you begin to notice that she tires easily, is becoming lethargic or just doesn't seem to be acting like herself, that's the time to consult with your vet to make sure there are no health concerns. I've found that a good way to weigh my cats is to get on my bathroom scale alone and then pick one of them up and add the difference. This means I have to weigh myself 8-0 but it's a good way to keep track of their weight as well.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    My good friend has a chubby siamese girl too. Any type of cat can be fat. As long as she's less than a year, I woudn't worry about her weight yet. Are you feeding kitten food? That is higher in calories but so necessary for their development. She will probably adjust herself as she gets older but if she doesn't, then your vet can recommend exactly how much is the right amount for her specific frame. There is no set weight by breed so the "right" amount of calories for her may not be what the bag says. I have Persians ranging from 6.5 lbs to 11 lbs and each is her own perfect weight. My Ragdoll Maggie is a moose right now but I am still hoping she starts to self regulate. My vet gave me a suggested feeding plan for her based on the calories of the food I use but that is next to impossible in a multi cat household.