my female kitten nurses from my 5 month old male

My name is Mr. Peepers and I am six months old today! Last week my human brought a baby sister home and yesterday when we were playing my new litle sister caught me laying down and she started trying to nurse! It doesn't bother me that she's doing it. I don't mind. In fact, while she's 'nursing' I give her a bath. I just want to know why my little sister is trying to do this. Could someone please tell me?

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like "little sister" was taken away from her mamma at too young of an age. Maybe she was abandoned? Maybe she thinks that "big brother" resembles her mamma? I think it is really cute that these two kitties are doing fine together and that "big brother" doesn't mind being nursed from. Keep up the good work big brother!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Your page says your kitten is one month old. That's too young to be taken away from Mama. Is she eating wet and/or dry food? If not, you may have to supplement her diet with KMR (cat milk replacement). I have a nine month old cat who still suckles on any of my cats who will tolerate it, including the males. In his case, it's like a toddler sucking his thumb, but your kitten may need some extra nutrition. Ask your vet, and good luck.
  • Kristine CoatesKristine Coates Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I am having the same issue! I have a 1yr old male named Taz and he lets my 3mo old female,Tink, nurse on him. Now, when I say "nurse", I mean suck, and it is not on a nipple......it is on his male anatomy. Is this the same for your cats? Somebody please tell me if this is ok for them to be doing this. It is kinda cute, but can Taz produce milk for Tink? I am going to get a mini baby bottle for kittens and introduce her to that because it is kinda disturbing to see this position with my cats. My 6 year old son is wondering what the heck is going on! I am not ready to even go there with him! LOL