Why is my 10-yr-old cat's left canine tooth growing really rapidly? Now twice the size of the other!

Member Posts: 1
My cat is otherwise very well, and not off her food but does have a little plaque. She has always had quite long canines, but this process has started recently and is very rapid.

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I would consult your vet and see if maybe it needs to be pulled before it lacerates her mouth or causes other harm. Cats do not need their canine teeth unless they hunt. These teeth are designed for tearing into meat and are not needed by cats that eat only kibble & canned food. Allie is 3 and still has her baby canines on top. My vet said that if they do fall out and she never gets her adult canines, not a problem because she won't need them anyway.I would also be concerned with WHY this is happening and only your vet can tell you that. She may need some blood work to see if something else is going on besides the tooth growth.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, do go to the vet, and consider getting your kitty some dental work to get rid of the placque. I had a cat with severe periodontis, and as her gums receded, she started losing teeth, including one of her canines. Placque and bacteria under the gumline can cause gum disease. You might also consider brushing your cat's teeth (even rubbing with a Q-tip or a piece of gauze will do). Good luck!