I want to repel fleas & ticks without using poison.

I am currently using a flea collar but I know that ultimately they also poison the cat. I am looking for a way to repel the fleas & ticks without using poison to avoid this ironic consequence.

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Using flea and tick products that are available at your vet is a much safer way to protect your cat from fleas & ticks without harming her. Products like Advantage and Frontline can also be purchased online or at places like Petsmart as well as at the vet but they do not contain the harmful poisons that a flea collar or products from companies like Hartz or Seargent which you can buy at places like Wal Mart contain. Although it is still a poison for the bug, the ingredients are much safer for the cat. The vet products are also more effective at actually eliminating the problem because the bug dies if it bites the cat.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I would toss the flea collar if I were you as I have heard they are not effective and can even be harmful to your cat. I know from experience that Front Line caused seizures in my cat on two occasions. It happened within 24 hours of application both times. The manufacturer said it was coincidental. I used Advantage on the same cat with no problems. I currently use Advantage on my present cat and an outdoor stray with no problems. I buy Advantage from 1-800-PetMeds. It is a little cheaper than buying it at the vets!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    If your cat is an indoor/outdoor kitty, making him/her an indoor only kitty can help solve the problem. You'll have to clean your house very thoroughly (I've never had this problem, so other Catsters can tell you what you have to do), and make sure that you don't have any rodents wandering around who might be carrying fleas. Using a flea comb can get rid of some of the fleas that are currently bothering your cat. And do use something like Frontline or Advantage.