Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

should we continue cat lax?

Member Posts: 111
we were given cat lax by the vet because linus has been gagging almost every day (we are assuming hairballs that he hasn't been able to vomit up). we're supposed to continue the cat lax for 3-4 days, however after the first day, linus threw up. i'm not sure if we should continue the cat lax or not, and the vet is closed today. would the cat lax have caused him to throw up, or would it be because maybe the cat lax hasn't kicked in yet?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Basically, all that's in Cat Lax is cod liver oil with a little petrolatum to make it greasy instead of oily. It's technically not medication as you can purchase Laxatone at PetSmart over the counter and that's the same thing. It goes to work almost immediately. I'd have to say that if he wasn't vomiting before, it might be the Cat Lax. Did he vomit up a hairball? It looks like a little, dark pellet of wet fur and it usually is accompanied by brown bile. (My cats are absolute Masters of Horking Hairballs so I know this for a fact) Was he actually diagnosed with hairballs that he can't get up? They usually pass through the other end. Continual gagging may signal a growth in his throat or any number of other things besides hairballs. He looks short-haired and getting them up shouldn't be as difficult as if he were long-haired. Cat Lax is given daily to help eject the hairball and then 2 or 3 times a week after that. Call the vet before you dose him tomorrow and ask if you should continue
  •  Member Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer
    I know this is ages later but Laxatone-as suggested-works well to help them digest hairballs so that they toss up less. Cats will toss up hairballs with food sometimes and often with only a foul smelling liquid. Sometimes they will toss up only the liquid. Gagging, or coughing, that awful choking sound is normal. But do stay with your pet to make sure they are not actually choking. I tend to pat or rub the cat at the shoulder/neck area to help them cough it up/keep it down as you would a person. It helps. Hairballs are often long, dark, ugly things that will have some liquid, maybe food, and smell badly. You'll think it's a BM but it won't be.