Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Should I return my kitten? Seems unavoidable.?

Ritu MundheRitu Mundhe AmesMember Posts: 2
I got her a month back. I'm a student at the university. I've seen other students having cats. So I didn't think it would be a big deal. Lately she has been hyperactive in the night. Since my roommate does not like her, I keep her confined to my room which is not big. Can hyperactive cats spend nights in bedrooms? I tried following online advices, to change her sleep cycle. But I cant entertain her all day so that she stays awake. She's not as independent and mellow as I thought. I can keep her or return her. I love her. But I want others opinion about what is good for her. In the night she keeps jumping on me and biting me till she's sleepy. Sometimes she eats things she's not supposed to and then she pukes. I give her good cat food all the time. And she has got a habit of begging for my food whenever I eat. So she's locked in my room when I eat, in the night, and whenever my roommate feels like. I love her and don't want her to be sad. Will she be alright?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I truly believe that you adopted a kitten without realizing what an obligation and responsibility it is. It is certainly much like having a child. Kittens need to be socialized,supervised, entertained and taught how to be good feline citizens. It's time-consuming and it doesn't really sound like you have the time, ambition or knowledge of cat behaviors to do any of these things. I understand that college life is busy and expensive and you also have obligations there. Loving your kitten is not enough. Perhaps you should have spoken with your roommate before you adopted this kitten. Certainly they would have voiced their opinion about not liking cats. It if were me, I would return the kitten. She needs to go to a home where they understand kitten care and responsibility and will provide her with a home where she can be safe, learn her manners and be loved by everyone in the home. She is bored and undisciplined and if she is not raised right, she will soon become unadoptable.
  • Fredonia TaylorFredonia Taylor Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I agree that returning the cat is not something you want to do but you want to make sure the cat is in a good place one that everyone is on the same page but I don't think you should in the future not try it again when your life is more settled and you have the time. Also at first you might not need a kitten but an older cat that has an established personality. So don't feel bad and never try it again, I am a first timer started with an older cat and we love him very much. Cats are wonderful pets, good luck next time.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Cat's are wonderful pets, but like us they do need entertainment and I'm not sure being locked in a room on it's own is the best, Does she have toys, like a cat tree or a tunnel, even something that moves. I know you love your kitty but unfortunately they are not a short term fad either. When you get a kitty you need to except you will have to care for your friend for many many years. So far I have had my kitty for 20 years and he's still with us. So if you want to travel your kitty may face certain death. As you may know kittens find homes so much easier than older cats. I hope you find an answer to your problem, you are doing a great job looking after her if you have her best interest a heart, Which includes her state of mind. Sounds like you may have to find a nice family that may want her. I hope you find a good home for her, as I worry shelters may be overcrowded and many get put down. Good luck with what you choose.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    1. All of what you describe is stuff that kittens do. They're baby cats, they're still learning the ropes of what is expected of them. I've said this in the past to new cat owners: expect that for the first few months, a kitten will be nocturnal and mess with your sleep. Plan accordingly. 2. Being bored, which she would be locked up in a room, does not help. As Balster said, kittens require more than just good food and a litter box. They need entertaining and stimulating toys, and for someone to make time for her and do some social play. I can relate your situation. I adopted both of my cats from kittenhood while still a university student. But in my case there were 2 of us, we both love and cherish our cats, and we made time to deal with each cat's behavior and change ours accordingly. It wasn't easy, but it could be done. If you don't have the time and patience, I would agree that you should find her a new home while she's still relatively young.