Will getting another cat help me to grieve the loss of this one?

Madison was my first cat and I loved her so much and, yesterday we had to put her down...she was only four, she was supposed to be here longer... One of her kidneys and her liver was shutting down and the vet said we should do whats best. I love and adore cats because of her. Everyone keeps saying I'm replacing her, but, she'll always be in my heart. I'm even giving the new kitten the same middle name as her. It's just hard to deal with losing her, and it's hard to think of her as being gone...

Best Answers

• Paige BrashPaige Brash AucklandMember Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    It won't 'replace her'. But it will give you another kitty to love, whilst you grieve. Having a kitten around the house means you won't notice the fact she is gone as much as you might in a cat-free house.
  • Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry for your loss. You will always have the good memories of Madison Jewels. No other cat can replace her. She was a very beautiful girl, by the way. Getting a new kitten or cat will help keep your mind from dwelling on the fact that Madison is gone. When you go to the shelter be sure to ask the workers if the new kitten has been around dogs. I notice you have a couple. As long as your family is in agreement, I say go ahead and start looking for your new kitty.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Please accept our sympathy for your loss. We can only advise you but not make the decision for you. Some people grieve for years over losing a pet and some go out and get another the next day. Don't listen to what 'everyone' says. You are not replacing her, you are complimenting her for her love and affection and for teaching you how wonderful cats are. When you get your new kitty, it's OK to laugh at her antics, talk to her about Madison, talk TO Madison about the new kitty, cry, cuddle and love-on your new kitty without feeling guilty. Madison understands and she is going to be very happy that you love cats so much because of her. I have it on the word, from The Bridge, of my Shizzie, Hope, Ernie and Lily Rose that the last thing Madison would want you to do is be unhappy and lonely. Good luck and let us know how you are doing! We care.
  • jessica gunnjessica gunn youghalMember Posts: 126
    Accepted Answer
    when i lost marco the hardest part was coming home forgeting he wouldnt be there and walking in to say hello and then it would hit me it was devistating every time after a few months i got another cat i would love to say i loved him as much but it would be a lie however i didnt feel guilty as he attached himself to my father and they adored eachother! it was great for dad as it was the first pet ever to choose him and for me it took some of that raw pain away because while marco wasnt there parker was and he distracted me the house was no longer empty. in time marco sent me a special little parcel who is with me now a very individual little miss but i can always feel marco when shes with me. listen to your own heart you will know the right thing to do. god bless and take care.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like you're leaning toward getting another cat, so I'd say go for it. You won't find another Madison, but you will find another lovely kitty to share your life with. Take your time, and don't be afraid to look at a lot of cats before you make your decision. In the end, the right kitty will probably chose you, rather than the other way around.