Seeking advice for 3 yr old DSH with neurological issues, ataxia, muscle loss in hind limbs

My cat Jose has been seen by a neurologist last year & is still undiagnosed. He will see a different neurologist in 1 week, but I am still seeking someone else who has been through this. He is weak in the hind legs & has lost muscle mass in both. He walks on his hocks often & is incredibly wobbly when moving. He has slight hair loss on both ears, which may not be related. He vomits occasionally but sometimes as frequently as 1-2 times a week. His symptoms began roughly 1 & 1/2 years ago; he was completely normal before. His symptoms began roughly after being sedated with Acepromazine. Doctors do not think this is related but I still like to throw it in, just in case. Also, he cannot metabolize B12 & therefore gets bi-weekly injections. He is amazing & I love him dearly & wish we could find the cause so that we can start treatment. If anyone has had similar issues, I would love to hear your experience. Thank you!

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Hello! I had a similar experience with my cat Tippy, who I found outside when she was about four months old. I believe she was a feral kitten who was abandoned by her mother due to her neurological issues. Tippy would walk wobbly and started having seizures (about once a month) at age five years. The vet said the seizures were idiopathic (of unknown origin). Tippy's vision gradually diminished as she got older and she developed chronic renal failure at age 10. Sadly, she passed away at age 11-1/2 due to chronic renal failure. I don't know if this helps at all, but I can assure you that my cat lived with her handicaps as though nothing was wrong with her. She was also a very loving cat and I miss her dearly. I did everything I could for her. I don't know your cat's background, but if it was born to a feral mother there could be all kinds of reasons why your cat has neurological impairment. Distemper would be the most common one I can think of. Best of luck with Jose.
  • jessica gunnjessica gunn youghalMember Posts: 126
    Accepted Answer
    while i know vomiting can be related to liver problems as can the up take of b12 and on animals with a weak liver system acepromazine can cause problems cos of how it works cant see how the hind quarters would be effected.with grace her hind quarers are weak due to injury as a baby when she is afraid or excited she forgets how to use them and they hang down but for quite a while she couldnt use them at all! then she discovered my 10ft ladder leaning on the wall joy overcame her and she used to drag herself up using her front paws eventually with a lot of work she managed to get her back legs to help now a year an a half on while her legs are still terribly thin the muscle thats there is good and strong she works out regularly on the ladder and a climbing frame(my new shelving!)and while i dont think her legs will ever be better than they are now most people would never notice there was a problem.whatever you do dont give up hope.he will let you know if he ever gives up Wishing you well
  • Roger WeltonRoger Welton Florida SpacecoastMember Posts: 23
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, having seeked out the involvement of a neurologist is the very best care you can offer your kitty with this presentation - and is clearly indicative of a dedicated and loving pet owner! You did not mention if blood work was done - I imagine it was if you have already gone the step of a neurologist - but in case it has nto been done, that is where I would start. A dropped hocks posture in cats is often indicative of neuropathy secondary to diabetes in cats. Treating the diabetes will resolve this. If this base has been covered, the ataxia in the hind legs with muscle loss would indicate myelopathy, disease of the spinal cord. This could be the result of bacterial, fungal, or protozoal infection, herniated intervertebral disc(s), or stroke of a section of spinal cord. I would proceed with spinal fluid analysis and culture, infections disease titers, MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine. Good luck!