Hairball problems thinking of shaving. Suggestions?

My baby has so many problems going on right now and one of those is hairball problems. I brush her daily and she has to be bathed 2 times a month with medicated shampoo to relieve her of her allergy problem. She is already being fed medicated food for stones and crystals in her urine. My vet told me to get a hairball remedy gel which I have bought 5 different types/brands and she will not touch all but 2 and the 2 that I use haven't worked (tried for months). I took her to the groomer and had them thin her hair using scissors that I guess cut little sections of hair so she keeps a full body of hair. My vet said it may help to have her shaved for I cannot feed her the hairball remedy foods for she has to have her medicated food for urinary tract. I want to get her shaved if it will help her but I want to know if there is one remedy I have not tried yet. Maybe even a vitamin I could give her?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Allie is the same way with hairballs. I even tried Fosters & Smith seafood flavor hairball remedy and you would think I was trying to feed her poison the way she reacts to it. The only thing that has helped is a high fiber cat food which you can not use due to Boo's other issues. I am not sure if Welactin would help at all. My vet recommended it because Allie and Blaze were having itchy dandruff issues. Both seem to have a lot less hairballs now that they are not itchy and over grooming. It is Omega 3 fatty acids and much cheaper online but I would ask your vet about it first since she has other issues. It comes in capsules you are supposed to put on food but I just squirt it right in their mouth because I am not giving it to all 8 cats. Also for the urinary issue, one of my breeders recommends using only filtered water. Not sure if you are doing that but my cats get only water from a BRITA pticher to eliminate the minerals in tap water.
  • TwinkleTwinkle BirminghamMember Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My cat has hairball problems too mostly because she's a long haired cat that rarely throws up. I have to take her once a year to the vet to get an enema. Hairball remedy foods & gels don't help her either. Shaving Boo might be a good idea. I'm not a vet, but it may help with her allergy problem since the medicated shampoo could get to her skin better without all that fur. I don't see how it could hurt to have her shaved.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I just got a pawmail from someone who was horrified because I had Delilah shaved a year ago. But, this person did not know that Delilah had mega-mats and I was afraid she'd pluck herself bald and bloody trying to get them out. The shaving wasn't bad at all except for the way she looked (prepare yourself). Now that she's grown out, I do brush her as often as I can, sometimes continually while she sits on my lap. Her "new" fur is shiny and black and healthy with no more matting. If your vet says it might be a good idea, I'd do it. But, if you live in a climate where it gets very cold, I'd be tempted to get her either a heated bed or one she can really snuggle down into to keep warm. Good luck!
  • jessica gunnjessica gunn youghalMember Posts: 126
    Accepted Answer
    all excelent ans would just add that although i hate the idea of having to shave a cat with your babies problems a temporary shave might give you her and your vet a chance to get her allergy problem under control and it might not need to be a permanent solution good luck and keep her cosy!
  • JEN ATKINSJEN ATKINS Member Posts: 123
    Accepted Answer
    Just curious if you've tried to hide the hairball prevention in wet food? If she has urinary issues, it is best for her to eat wet food anyways and it is relatively easy to hide the taste of the hairball gel by mixing it well into a larger amount of canned food. I have had a lot of success with the brand Laxatone. It comes in tuna and malt flavor. My cats enjoy both. Also, my mom has to shave her persian once every few months due to constant matting. The groomer does not shave her completely, but leaves about 2 cm of hair. Her cat does fine with it and does not seem to mind the shaving or the lack of hair. Best of luck to you!