What can I do to help a pair of ferals that showed up in our trailer court?

I've called animal control to try to get them before snow comes but they hide so well that the AC thinks I am cranking them. Was warned if I call again I have to either have them in cages or I will get a ticket for wasting their time. Tried live traps, these guys are too smart for that. No matter what bait was used all we caught was opposum and raccoons.

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    If animal control pick them up they will just euthanise them so its good that they have hidden so well so far. You could start by setting up some shelter for them and feeding them so they can make it through the winter. You can get pads that you warm in the microwave that stay warm for up to 12 hours that you could put in the shelter in the evening and they would be attracted to the warmth. Here's a link to an example of this type of pad http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9 Try finding a group in your area that works with feral cats so you can talk to people whpo can give you tips and support. They may have contacts who can help find the cats a home in a barn etc but even if not will be able to help advise on shelters, trapping etc. If you start feeding them they will probably trust you more and you may be able to trap them and get them fixed to prevent kittens come springtime. A local feral group can help with that too.
  • JEN ATKINSJEN ATKINS Member Posts: 123
    Accepted Answer
    The best option for these cats is to get them spayed/neutered and to provide a steady source of food. If you feed them at the same time everyday, they will become much more easier to trap. Here is a link to proper trapping techniques: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=285. You can borrow traps from vets or animal control. Many places will do free or very low cost spaying/neutering for stray cats. Then, check here for tips on how to care for the cats: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=293. Scientific studies show that it is less costly and more beneficial to the animal to spay/neuter and leave them where they are, provided that they have a food source. I currently feed stray cats every single day and it is very rewarding to watch them go from being wild to trusting only you. Caring for these animals provides me with significant happiness and I think it could for you too, since you obviously care for them already. Take care.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    My first question is what are your intentions with these two feral cats? Do you want to keep them? It didn't sound like it. By the way, if AC comes out, the cats will be euthanized. If you want to help these cats, you should trap them and have them spayed/neutered ASAP. Then they should always be returned to the location where they were trapped, provided someone is going to be their caretaker. I manage two feral cat colonies in my home town. The other posters are correct with the advice they have to offer. It is much easier to get two cats fixed and feed them then to end up with cats, kittens and more kittens. You don't want to be known as a "breeder and feeder"! My ferals trust me because I am probably the only one who feeds them. I had them fixed three years ago and some of them even let me pet their heads while they are eating. Some even "talk" to me which is rare for a feral. I suggest Trap-Neuter-Return. You will be glad you did this, and so will the cats!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You could try contacting a local rescue organization for help. I'm surprised that AC has been so nasty to you. You all have the same goal, after all. You may want to contact a local media station and make a few comments. What have you got to lose since you can't call AC anymore anyway? When we faced this a few years ago, we staged a silent protest outside the pound. There were all sorts of horrors going on inside. We got the AC officer fired and now the shelter is one of the best in the area. Look on petfinder or in your phone book for a local rescue who may help you trap, neuter and return these guys. And, thanks for caring.