Pooping without knowing

I wanted to make a clarification to "Could it be Worms?" but I couldn't so I'm making a new post. Our cat is pooping everywhere but his litter box. He doesn't seem to do it on purpose, there is no scratching, nothing. He just doesn't seem to know he's about to go or that he's even going! Most of the time he's mid-play when he goes. Just this morning he was rolling on his back asking to play and he started going. Brought him to his box but he ran out - he didn't seem to understand why he was put in there. Stool is normal. Not hard. He goes twice a day. Drinks water and eats throughout the day. Vet said maybe worms even though test was neg. Gave treatment 3 days ago. No change. Also on antibiotics and eye drops. He was overgrooming but has stopped and fur is growing back fine. His eyes were watering but have stopped. Heart murmur was also mentioned by vet. He is only 9 months of age.

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    My cat, Angel, on occasion will jump out of her litterbox while have a bowel movement because she wants to look out the window and see the feral cats I feed. On two recent occasions she left a small piece of stool in the living room near her window perch, and the other time it was on the floor in the hallway. It came out while she was running. As for your little guy, maybe he's having too much fun playing (just like little kids who forget to come in when they have to go potty)! I don't know. I'm only guessing, but if it continues, certainly your veterinarian should be able to give you some advice. Good luck.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There could be any number of issues with your kitty. I don't think it's a matter of him being too busy or distracted. If he doesn't use the litter box at all, even for urination, then you may neem to retrain him including adding a few more boxes around your home so he always has one available. When he "goes" in one, praise the heck out of him. You can also try "Feliway" plug-ins, but those have limited success. If his stools are normal, it's probably not the antibiotics since those usually cause diarrhea and stomach upset as well. It could even be something called "mega-colon" in which the colon stretches and empties out all at once. Your vet may want to send you to a veterinary neurologist for further testing. If this continues, please share this with your vet until a solution is reached.