my cat just developed a spasm in his neck, it jerks up and to right every 30-60 seconds.

-sometimes it jerks violently causing him to gasp and sneeze, even in his sleep. when this happens his lip curls or his mouth opens slightly then after, he moves his mouth as if he is tasting/swallowing something. i first noticed this last night. he is on prednisone for urinary infection/cystitis since last thursday. i called the vet they say the meds wont cause this symptom...? its freaking me out- what could have brought this on all of the sudden???

Best Answers

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Wow!!! I hope your cat is ok, it doesn't sound good and the vet doesn't know. I assume the vet asked you to bring the cat in right away. Maybe they are blocked and in pain? Good luck, if the vet doesn't help is there another one in your area for a second opinion?
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Your vet should have gone a little further than just saying that the meds they prescribed won't cause this. This is not normal and your vet needs to discover what's causing it. Call them on Monday and tell them your kitty needs to be re-examined to find out what's going on. Don't let them blow you off..or find another vet. Let us know how he's doing.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, I don't know why your cat is being treated with a corticosteroid for a urinary tract infection. Corticosteroids, such as prednisone, are used in felines with chronic renal failure as an appetite stimulant and to promote thirst. Are you sure your cat has a UTI? Prednisone will make your cat hungry and thirsty which will promote urination in a cat who shows signs of renal insufficiency or chronic renal failure. If your cat has a urinary tract infection, he should be treated with an antibiotic such as Clavamoix or Clyndamycin. I really think you need to either call and talk to the vet (not the receptionist), or get another vet's opinion. Also, you don't state how old your cat is. Is he possibly diabetic? If so, prednisone can have adverse affects in diabetic cats, particularly those over age 10 years. Please call your vet and talk to him/her personally. You may have to take him back (best thing to do) for a follow-up. Best to kitty for a speedy recovery.