Can someone please help?

My cat is 3 years old and neutered. I have had him since 6 weeks old and he has never urinated anywhere in my house, he always goes outside, but just recently he has be squatting in the house, but he can be squatting for over 10 minutes without anything happening. The occasions that he does manage to urinate, his urine contains blood and puss.He appears to be in a lot of discomfort, and is always licking at his rear end. He has been to the vet 5 times now since the start of December, and he was kept in twice for observation and blood tests. All test have come back clear, however he was still prescribed 10ml of Metacam a day, half a pill of Baytril a day and Crystade 2 times a day. This was for the duration of 10 days. This helped for the first 3-4 days, but now he is just as bad as when this first happened. I don't want him to be in pain, but i can't afford to keep him if this continues. Can anyone please help?

Best Answers

• Susan MinnichSusan Minnich HillsboroMember Posts: 97
    Accepted Answer
    Feline Urological Syndrome article on Catster http://www.catster.com/cat-health-care/feline-urological-syndrome
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    Accepted Answer
    There is also a lot of good info found here: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth It sounds like recurring bladder inflammation (cystitis), which is painful, or possibly crystals in the bladder. Cystitis is more common than UTIs. Wet food and increasing water intake can be helpful, and reducing stress is also helpful. Pain meds are beneficial, though Metacam now has a warning about repeated use (due to possible kidney damage). Buprenex is another good pain med. Best wishes.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Harvard started peeing bloody urine and straining when he urinated a few days ago. I took him to the vet, where I was told what that a large number of UTIs have no known cause, will resolve themselves with or without treatment, and that increasing the amount of liquid a cat takes in (more wet food, etc.) is the key to promoting good urinary health. He would have done an ultrasound but said it would be hard to read unless there was urine in the bladder. Has your vet given an ultrasound or x-ray? Those should be done. Have you considered going to another vet? I rotate among three. There's lots of info on the Internet--take some time looking up some leads as to what might be wrong. Stress can be a cause of a UTI--has something changed in your kitty's environment, causing stress? If your cat becomes lethargic and appears to be getting sicker, and no urine at all is coming out, there could be a blockage that can lead to death, so get to a vet ASAP. Good luck and purrs.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Well it certainly sounds like your vet isn't getting to the root of the problem after five trips there and, needless to say, a great expense to you! I would take kitty to another vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment. Bring your cat's records so that the new vet will not repeat the same tests. Metacam is not for long-term use as it can cause kidney damage. I have a 18-year old (?) stray I brought in who has similar issues. I spent $600 on him back in August. He had a "raging" UTI and got better within five days. I also purchased a dietary supplement called "Tripsy" over the Internet. It has helped him immensely. He doesn't cry anymore when he urinates. Even his coat appears healthier and shinier than ever. My vet was stunned when I told her! I would not, however, use any herbal or dietary supplement while your cat is on any medications, or without the advice of your veterinarian. I just got lucky because Oscar hasn't had another UTI in five months now. Best of luck.