Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Nothing has worked to keep Dixie from getting up on the counter what do i do next?

Jessi KnicelyJessi Knicely KimballMember Posts: 272
Nothing has worked to keep Dixie off the counter. the double sided tape didnt work for very long and chasing her off or yelling at her is working i know yelling wouldnt of worked anyway but she knows if we say her name she will get off but sometimes she is being stuborn and wont get off the counter unless we chase her off nothing seems to be working is there anything else i can do to keep her off the counter Cooper is doing it less theses days but he still gets on the counter every now and again

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately, you're fighting kitty nature. Cats are naturally inquisitive and naturally like to be in high places so they can see what's going on in their world. Can you invest in one of those big carpeted cat trees that they sell at the petstores? If Dixie and Cooper have one of those put strategically in front of their favorite "cat tv" window, they may forgo climbing up on your counters. Continue to make sure that your counter and sink is clean and free of food or anything else that might interest them. I do have to say though, that living with cats is a matter of "acceptance" of how they are. If my dogs misbehave, all it takes is a "HEY!" from me and they spend the rest of the day apologizing. If I yell at Iz or Delilah, I usually get a dirty look and if they could, they'd give me the one-finger salute. Find out what is so interesting about the counter. High up? Food? A window? Rustly paper? If you can recreate this experience with a cat tree, I'd give that a try. Good luck!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    My cats not only get on the counter but have been known to burn their tails on the gas jets in the burners. The only solution I've found is to shut them in another room. I guarantee that this will work. You don't need their help when cooking anyway. As for their getting on the counter when you're not cooking, I'd just put up with it and make sure to disinfect the counter area very carefully before starting to prepare a meal.
  • jessica gunnjessica gunn youghalMember Posts: 126
    Accepted Answer
    you could try uping the anti by using the sticky tape but also sprinkling white pepper over the counter it wont do anything really nasty to them but they probably will hate the taste or if your lucky try a lemon scented cleaning spray grace hates lemon scented stuff unfotunately she loves pepper an chili lol but most cats dont good luck