My 13 yr old cat is pooping outside her litter box. I scoop it daily, but if there is just one poop

She is the only one of my cats that is declawed. I rescued her declawed, and wonder if this has something to do with it? I have had her since she was 2 yrs old, and recently it is worse then ever before.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Declawing gets blamed for a lot of things. I'm not in favor of it, but I don't believe it has anything to do with your cat's sudden disdain of her box. Do you have a box for each cat? Sometimes as they get older, they do become more finicky about things. Your cat is also old enough to qualify for "feline dementia" which is very similar to the human type. You may also want to get her a larger box. She may be somewhat arthritic and be having some difficulties moving around in her box. I use a large, long Rubbermaid underbed storage box as a litterbox because both my cats do "The Potty Dance" and move around a lot in the box. If she hasn't been to see her vet in a while, you may want to check in with them. As our cats age, they are much like us and need to spend a little more time in contact with the doc. Good luck. Hugs and purrs to your little old lady!
  • Chucky BaerChucky Baer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 13
    Accepted Answer
    I wonder if this is a shared litter box- she may want her own if that is the case and if she was there before the other cats came into the home...just guessing here.