WILL MY CAT RETURN

WE HAVE A 2 YR OLD MALE CAT WHO WE LOVE GREATLY BUT HE HAS NOT BEEN FIXED ( WE HAVE TRIED 3X) TO GET HIM TO HUMANE SOCIETY TO BE FIXED BUT EACH TIME IT IS A HUGE BATTLE TRYING TO CATCH HIM TO PUT INTO A CAT CARRIER- SO HE HAS BEEN SPRAYING ALOT IN LAST FEW MONTHS- WE HAVE TRIED FELIWAY AND OTHER PRODUCTS WHICH HAVE NOT WORKED SO THE OTHER DAY GOLDIE SPRAYED ON OUR CURTAINS RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY HUSBAND AND HE HAD HAD IT SO LET HIM OUTSIDE- IT HAS BEEN 3 DAYS- NO WE CANNOT LIVE WITH THE SPRAYING BUT I AM GREATLY CONCERNED ABOUT HIM AND MISS HIM MUCH- EVEN IF I KNEW HE WAS NOT HURT OR WORSE (GOD FORBID) I WOULD FEEL A LITTLE BETTER- MAY SEEM LIKE A ODD QUESTION BUT I WAS WONDERING IF MOST CATS WILL RETURN AFTER BEING LET OUT (ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE IN HEAT?) ANY COMMENTS OR ENCOURAGEMENT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Deep breaths. I know this has to be hard since the circumstances surrounding his departure were not your own. I'm terribly sorry. It's very normal for intact males to be gone for weeks. But it's not right for him to be roaming and very unsafe as well. Cars are not the only dangers for him. Cats get into fights constantly, especially males competing for mates, territory and food. These males will fight to kill. Contact a local trap and rescue group in your area. They do humane traps. Ask them what you should do, that your own male cat who you cannot handle and need to have neutered escaped and you need help. They should be able to help you out, or at least provide you with a starting point.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Miss Edith. You will have to treat your cat like a feral. Bait a trap according to advice from your local humane or welfare resuce organization or even your animal warden/humane officer (contact through your police department). This intact male is out looking for females to mate with. By now, he has probably impregnated many females and there will be many kittens born that he has fathered. Not a good situation. You need the help of a local humane organization to get him to a vet or low cost spay/neuter clinic to have him fixed. Males do not go into "heat"--they are always ready to mate. He may come back home if he survives being outside and all the dangers out there. If he does, this is the time that you have to figure out how to get him into a carrier and have him neutered. As we have said, enlist the aid of a local humane organization or animal control officer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.