Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My male cat is rubbing his but on the carpet and it is leaving a poo mark.

Kevin RubyKevin Ruby BaltimoreMember Posts: 6

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Chances are, quite honestly, that his behind itches. There could be many reasons. If he has what we call "kling-ons" back there, they could be bothering him. If he can't reach them to pull them off, scooting on the carpet is about the only way he can get them off. He may also have impacted or infected glands around his anus. These are two scent glands on either side that are used for marking his poo and saying, to other animals, "I was here and I left this." Usually, when an animal poops, the glands empty themselves. If his poop is soft, the glands don't get emptied and they overfill and get infected. It's kind of like a hemmorhoid. I'm afraid that he'll have to go to the vet to find out which it is. The vet or vet tech can empty them for you and he'll be a lot more comfortable. This doesn't go away by itself and can only get worse as time goes on.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    He could have infected anal glands. That happened to one of my Rainbow Bridges kitties once. I'd call the vet and have him checked out and treated.
  • JEN ATKINSJEN ATKINS Member Posts: 123
    Accepted Answer
    It could also be intestinal parasites. Tapeworms exit the body through the anus, and this often causes itching of the behind area. Your vet can give you medication (usually just one pill) to take care of the problem. Best of luck!