cat has drool around mouth and acts weird

Member Posts: 66
my 3 month old male cat has these fits where its like somethings bothering him in his nose or mouth. he growls and hisses at himself and wipes at his face with his paw. ive looked and felt in his mouth and saw nothing.it first happened when he was sitting at a window recently. its happened about 3 days in a row. then afterward his mouth usually has a bit of drool on his bottom lip. he also has drool when he sits in my lap for a while. ive noticed he also has this gross rotten odor coming from him. i notice it on my hands after ive been petting him. what could this be

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Any time kitty is drooling when he is not kneading and purring, it isn't normal. The rotten odor is also alarming. It could be a number of issues from a dental issue to a liver problem. Please get this little guy into the vet as soon as you can. If you adopted him from the shelter, you may be able to still get his care covered there.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Not to scare you, but if your cat's breath is bad enough for you to notice, he needs to go to the vet asap. As Miss Edith said, it could be any number of concerns from kidney disease to cancer to diabetes,mouth ulcers, etc. Better to catch it now as any of these issues won't disappear on their own and need a vet's intervention. Good luck and please let us know how he is!