My cat has recently started to not eat and here activity has decreases dramtically. She almost never

day. I took her to the vet and she was given eye drops for an eye infestion. As well as general antibiotics. She will not eat the medicine mixed with any food and I was forced to give it to her through a dropper. It worked for the first day, now when I give it to her she near instantly vomits. The antibiotic is called calamox.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    It sounds like an allergic reaction to the antibiotic but I am not certain since I am not a vet. What I would do in this situation is give your vet a call on the after-hours emergency line to explain what is happening. An eye infection is painful and proper treatment needs to be given as soon as possible. Purrs to your sweet one and you
  • JEN ATKINSJEN ATKINS Member Posts: 123
    Accepted Answer
    If you told the vet that she is not eating and is very lethargic, the vet would have done more than prescribe antibiotics. There should have been a blood test done, at the very least. If you were not offered this or declined to have this done, please consider it. Medication should never be mixed in food, as it is not guaranteed that the animal will get the full dose that way. Also, it is very important with antibiotics that she gets the same dose at the same time each day until the medication is finished, as prescribed by the vet. An animal should never go several days without eating. If she is still not eating, she needs to returned to the vet immediately. There are appetite stimulants that the vet can prescribe, but the bottom line is there is a reason she is not eating and she needs to be diagnosed properly. Best of luck to you both.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Clavamox can often cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Not all cats can tolerate it. It is a very good antibiotic, but very harsh on the digestive system. Giving it on a full stomach often helps, but not always. I've had problems with Clavamox in the past. Call your vet ASAP with an update. They'll have to prescribe her something different.