I would like to help my older cat get on and off my bed, do cats prefer steps or a ramp?

Member Posts: 1

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It really depends on what your cat is used to. If your cat has never had to deal with steps, then a ramp would be the best idea. If she/he has lived in a house where there are steps and she/he is used to dealing with them, then broad, wide steps might be the best idea. If your cat is suffering from arthritis, you may also want to check with his/her vet for medications that might help. And, when you are ready to purchse or build these steps/ramp, the Internet has great ideas for both. Hugs and purrs to your Senior Citizen!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Whichever you choose, try to make sure it's covered in carpet or sisal. Cats use their claws to stabilize themselves, and it will help if the stairs/ramp is covered with something they can sink their claws into.
  • Accepted Answer
    Elevator.