Neutered male suddenly spraying in house

I have an 8 yr old neutered male as well as an 11 yr old spayed female. Because of aggression problems between 11 yr old and new kitten (stray, now fixed, female), I have my 11 yr old upstairs with run of the house. The male and the new stray kitten as well as another new stray that showed up that I took in, spayed female, had run of the downstairs and basement. My 8 yr old male has started spraying about a week ago, off and on, right in front of me!! I've had all the cats together for about two months now. So, I've been letting him go upstairs while I am at work with the 11 yr old and the other two strays stay downstairs. I have the Feliway diffuser, Bach Flower Essence and other essences to try to help. I know he is stressed but what do I do? Let him have run of the downstairs and keep the strays in the basement and then let them out together at night? I've tried feeding them together (goes ok) and slow introductions but still the male is spraying. HELP!!!!!!!

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Spraying issues are extremely difficult to stop. Your cat is protesting the increase in population in "his" territory. Some cats are determined loners and don't like their territory messed with. They don't like change of any kind, especially the appearance of other cats. Even cleaning up the spray marks with oxy or enzyme based cleaner gets rid of the marks but not the problem that's causing it. This will probably just take time and extreme patience on your part. Work on socializing and integrating the new kids into the fold as much as you can. When the male no longer feels threatened by the interlopers, he'll probably stop spraying. You can also ask your vet for further advice. They may put your male on a short course of kitty prozac and suggest more behavioral modifications. Try not to bring any more kitties into your home until this problem is resolved. That would only make the current situation worse.