Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My cat always growls

Sarah LawhorneSarah Lawhorne New Port RicheyMember Posts: 26
My kitten always growls! She growls when I pick her up, I put her on my lap and she growls, Growl! Growl! Growl! She never goes a day without growling! Please help me!

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Cats make a variety of sounds, just like any other species. Is your cat attacking (scratching and biting) you? Are her ears back and tail flicking when you pick her up? Eyes big? Does she hiss or 'spit' at you? Some cats don't like to be held. Even now, at the age of 4, if anyone picks my Izzie up, he will claw and bite to get away. If she is just "growling", it may be her version of talking. Instead of trying to pick her up, engage her in hands-off playtimes with a "fishing pole" sort of cat toy or laser light (be careful not to shine it in her face) The toys need not be expensive. I put a toilet paper tube on a string the other day and Izzie thought he was in heaven!
  •  Member Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    My friends cat makes awful noises! I thought it was really angry, growling in that really annoyed way that they do when they feel under threat. But apparently he always does it. He's perfectly happy just making lots of noise. It's a bit odd but he doesn't seem to mind!
  • Accepted Answer
    She might've picked it up from other kittens she was with; maybe they had to compete for mom's care and attention, or for food, or the other kittens picked on her. Maybe keep reassuring her, making sure she has access to food, water, litter box, a bed...and most importantly your affection...and she might realize she doesn't have to compete for these things and give up the growling. Make sure she knows she has the option to get out of your lap if she feels like it, too...don't worry, she'll eventually start coming back and staying on her own!