My eldest cat (3 years old) has on occasion stopped using the litter box and instead is going on the

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie did the same thing for a while after we moved. Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons, one is a bladder infection (has she been checked by a vet?) and the other is stress. Have you moved her box? Changed litter? Gotten a new pet? Had a major life-change recently? Even something that may seem inconsequential to you may be causing her to not use the box. Also, you may have to replace the mat. Unless you can bleach it in the washer, she will still detect her scent there and continue to use it. Btw--I found out recently that we have 2 outdoor cats roaming our neighborhood all day and I'm wondering if that's not what was upsetting Izzie.
  • Heather FisherHeather Fisher Member Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer
    I did this once. Mom hurt her shoulder quite badly and was unable to properly clean my litter box. I wanted to make sure she understood I did not appreciate the dirty box. Have not had a dirty box since.