We have a 9ys persian and got a kitten in Feb. Now the 9yr cat keeps pooing on floor in front of lit

Even when the litter box is freshly cleaned I am cleaning poo off the floor. Help, I am at whits end. Short of taking the older cat to the shelter, any suggestions

Best Answer

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    The older cat does seem to be protesting but a check up with the vet is always a good idea just to be sure it's not a health issue. Two cats need 2 or more litterboxes. The recommendation is 1 per cat plus 1 more. This won't stop the kitten from using all of them and still upsetting the 9 year old but may help to some extent along with frequent scooping. I have been lucky that my first baby Allie has never minded new kitties joining the family since her first was when she was still a kitten. Please do not abandon the poor 9 year old! Older pets have a harder time finding new homes at shelters because people want kittens, not somebody else's problem cat. If you do truly find that you need to rehome him, consider placing him on your own and specifying that he prefers to be the only pet. Personally I could never consider giving up any of mine regardless of what they did wrong. Poop in front of the litterbox is not such a bad crime. At least it's close and not on the bed or sofa.