Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Why is my 8-month-old female kitten pooping in the bathroom sink?

Janine KahnJanine Kahn Manila/San FranciscoMember Posts: 50
I took in an 8-month-old female stray about four months ago. The vet checked her out and she's fine, but I cannot get her to poop in the litterbox. She'll pee in it no problem, but she poops in the bathroom sink! I started covering the sink with a board, and now she's pooping in the floor in random areas. I have three other cats, all male. I have seven litter boxes in three locations. I've tried different brands of cat litter, shredded newspaper, and old towels (per the vet's recommendation) but nothing seems to work. Today I left the sink uncovered and she'd pooped in it. Any ideas?

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I once had a kitten I fostered who would urinate in the bathroom sink. It turned out that he had a urinary tract infection and later was diagnosed with overactive bladder. His new owner told me she gives him a pill once a day for the overactive bladder condition. Thankfully he went to a nurse and she can handle it. Did your vet check your cat for a UTI? Maybe she doesn't like to go in a litter box that has been used before. My old cat did this. I had to have two separate litter boxes for one cat - one to urinate in and the other to poop in! I don't know what other suggestions to make. Maybe someone else can give better advice. Good luck!
  • Colleen MoceriColleen Moceri Sterling HeightsMember Posts: 30
    Accepted Answer
    Have your vet check her anal glands! A lot of vets miss this and impacted or infected anal glands will make them avoid defecating in the litter box.