Mama cat recovered from surgery still has milk

Sandra CookSandra Cook FresnoMember Posts: 3
3 days after having her kittens Nancy developed a respiratory infection as well as an infection in her uterus. She had an emergency spay surgery and I have been bottle feeding her kittens for 3 weeks now. Thankfully she has made a full recovery! She just took the last of her medications today. I noticed that she is still producing milk! Could I possibly put her kittens back with her after the medication is out of her system?

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Chances are that by the time the meds are safely out of her system, her milk will have dried up. It's probably a hormonal thing. If she'll tolerate it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't give her back her kittens. Nursing is important to bonding and security for the babies and babies who are removed from their mom too soon can develope other comfort behaviors like sucking on their paws, their littermaters or humans or clothing. They won't be getting any milk from Nancy and you'll still have to feed and wean them eventually, but it's good for them to develope a relationship with their momma cat as well as you.