Why does my kitten meow only when she's alone?

She tends to meow only when she's alone and cannot find me.(which I know is a common kitten behavior) When I am visible to her, she only gives silent gasps when I "meow talk" to her. Why is she silent in my presence?

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie does the same thing. He has different meows for his sisters, for me and for his favorite dog, my Springer Spaniel when he's looking for us. He announces himself when he comes into a room but then he's very quiet. Lizzie on the other hand will speak when spoken to as long as she's spoken to. Delilah talks only to herself, usually when carrying her favorite fur mousie in her mouth. We once had a dog who liked to play fetch but had a VERY loud bark. We taught her to "silent bark" ! I think your kitten is probably showing you the "don't talk back to mama" respect for your position in her life.