My newly adopted 10 week old kitten has a running nose, watery eyes and a weird noise when he purrs.

Amber KocksAmber Kocks AngolaMember Posts: 1
Watery eyes, weird purr noise, and sneezing. Does he have a cold? Any home remedies? I do not have money this week to take him to the vet. I just adopted him from the shelter and he was born there.

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection. He needs to go to the vet. Kittens can get very sick quickly and decline rapidly. Call your vet, and ask if they can hold a check or work out a payment plan with you. Most vets do not want to turn away a sick pet. Care Credit may also be an option. URI's are common in shelters. unfortunately there's probably not much the shelter can do to help you as most are strapped for funds as it is. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. No home remedies. He needs to see a vet.
  • Christine HeidemanChristine Heideman Member Posts: 7
    Accepted Answer
    Shelter kitties usually come home with sneezes and sometimes coughs. In my experience, its usually just a mild viral & antibiotics don't help, so its best to wait it out. All my rescues go about a week or two sneezing, runny eyes, nose's, etc & then they are fine again. If they get really stuffy, bring them in the bathroom with you when you're showering. The steam helps, but not for too long, so make it no longer than a 15-20 min shower. As long as your kitty is eating and drinking fine, give it about a week to clear itself up.