Female, 12 year old cat living with 2 other males pees all over the house, and the boys are almost a

My family and I have 3 cats (2 males one female, aged 16, 12, and 12) living in our house and one who lives outside on our patio (female). We have always kept a clean litter box in the house but none of them regularly use it, except the males who often use it to poop. Our cats are so terrible about peeing in the house that for years now my mother has kept puppy training pads around the house because they often prefer to pee on them over a more innapropriate spot and it makes for easier cleanup. The girl cat, however, will not even use the puppy pads most of the time. She pees anywhere and everywhere: on the walls, in their water and food dishes, on couches and beds, rugs, etc....she's a long haired cat so we've always assumed that's why she prefers not to use the litter box but her urinating behaviors are still ridiculous and unwarranted. My mother is the one who has to deal with the bulk of this constant pee and poop cleanup and I feel terrible for her. Is there anything we can do?

Best Answer

• Arna CohenArna Cohen Member Posts: 565
    Accepted Answer
    This is a very complicated topic, one that can't be answered in 1,000 characters. My first advice always is to have the cats checked by your vet for any medical problems. Older cats often develop diabetes or kidney problems that cause them to pee everywhere. Proper treatment can help resolve the problems. You should have 4 litter boxes in different parts of the house; try different types of litter to see if there are any preferences. There is so much good information about litter box issues on the net. Try catinfo.org, ASPCA behavior pages, cat pages at about.com, catsinternational.org, thehappylitterbox.com. It probably won't be easy to fix things, since their behavior is likely habit now, but it's certainly worth trying. Good luck.