Our 12 year old diabetic cat has started urinating beside her litter box, but not all the time. Any

Our wonderful Macy is 12 years old and has been diagnosed with diabetes almost 2 years ago. We discovered it with her weight loss and outside the litter box urnination issues. She's been doing great with a controlled diet and insulin shots twice a day. About a month ago she started going right next to her litter box, but not all the time. Sometimes its twice a day then nothing for 2 or 3 days. We've made 3 trips to the vet and found nothing. We did decide to up her insulin dose with the vets guidance as her blood sugar was a little high but not horrible. The vet said the elevated levels could be due to us packing to move/stress. We are at our wits end with this. We clean the 3 litter boxes in the apartment twice a day. We try and watch her constantly and if she heads for that corner we put her in a litter box. We have another vet appointment Tuesday for a final set of tests, but we're afraid that they won't find anything wrong again and it will just be her being stubborn.

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons, stress and health, and unfortunately, Macy has issues with both. Moving is traumatic for everyone. When we moved, Izzie hid in the crawl space in our "old" house and I was sure he'd taken off when the door was open. My animals were weirded out for at least 6 weeks after our move. I found spray marks here, too. Use Nature's Miracle to clean her "spots". Follow directions. Try getting one of those long Rubbermaid underbed plastic boxes and use that as a litter box. She could simply be "missing" the box. Trust me, Macy isn't doing this to honk you off. She's upset, stressed and doesn't feel well. Hang in there with her and mention her litter box issues to your vet. Good luck!