Is he lost? ): or is he just waiting for me?

Today, I was spending some time with the community cats downstairs. I saw one that I liked and wanted to bring it down to my block, so we carried it. When it reached our block it was abit unfamiliar and unhappy so we tired to play with it by petting it but it didn't work, so we decided to let him go instead. But after 30 mins, I was abit skeptical regarding whether he made it back to his original home safe and sound (it's a 3 min walk), so I went to check but I didn't find him. Now my parents tell me that downstairs my block (where I brought him but he was unhappy) they saw him meowing away. I don't know if he's lost, or if he's waiting for me? Can you help me? Thank you.

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I know you were trying to be friendly to this cat whom I'm assuming is stray and possibly feral. Your heart was in the right place. Unfortunately, removing the cat from its territory is not a good idea for a few reasons. The cat may have diseases, at the least fleas. If it scratches or bites you, you could become very sick. If these cats belong to no one and they are on their own, it's a good chance that one of them just might turn on you. They are, as we say, "feral", or wild. Cats have their own territories or "space" and when you took this cat out of his, he became confused and lost. On his way back, he could face dangers like cars, other animals protecting THEIR territories, dogs, etc. You can try to take him back, but as I said, you face the possibility of becoming injured if he bites or claws you. From now on, please don't take the cats out of their "space". It's best to just leave them alone. They aren't toys but wild animals and we don't want to see you get hurt.