My cat used to go to the bathroom outside, but since I moved to an apartment he needs to use a litte

My cat used to go to the bathroom outside, but since I moved to an apartment he needs to use a litterbox. How do I get h

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    My son's cat, Cole, is an outside cat and he does use a litter box. Make sure the box is big enough for him. Put about 1.5 inches of litter in it. When you chose the litter brand/type, stick with it. My cats don't care, but some cats will protest if you change litter brands on them. If he balks at using the box, some Catsters recommend putting dirt in it with the litter since that's what he's used to using. When he's reliably using the box, you can stop using the dirt. Keep the box scooped daily. Once a week, dump out the litter, scour the box and put in fresh. I replace my boxes about once every six months. Keep the box in as private a location as you can. Cats feel vulnerable when using the box and if it's in a high traffic area, they'll resort to closets or behind the couch. Put him in the box to show him where it is. He'll probably jump right out, but he will remember where it is. Make sure you don't cut off his access to the box. You might even want to put out more than 1 box.