When I look into my cats eyes they dart slightly back and forth from left to right. Is this normal?

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    If it seems to you that it's a "tremor" and he can't control it, he has to go to the vet. It could be neurological, a condition he's had since birth or from a head-injury. On the other hand, no animal likes to be stared at full on in the eyes. They consider it a threat or a challenge, and aggressive or "Alpha" animals can attack. Your cat may be doing this because he is uncomfortable being stared at by you and it's a nervous or submissive reaction in his part. Even now when I look at my cats or dogs, I don't stare at them full in the eyes. Cats consider it non-threatening if you look at them and blink rapidly. With dogs, if you look down and to the left, it's submissive and you are no threat to them. If you feel this is a medical and not behavioral condition, you do need to take her to the vet's.