Cat pees on couch when it's not covered in plastic... help??

I have a female cat (spayed, 2 1/2 years old, has claws, healthy) who has decided for the past year that the couch is a better place to pee than the litter box. She has no problem using the litter box for both #1 and #2 when the couch stays securely covered in plastic, but if one spot of fabric is showing she will pee in that spot. Otherwise friendly and lovable, but this is obviously not healthy or appropriate behavior. No major changes in her lifestyle. Lives with brother (neutered) and they have been together their entire life. He has no problem using the box, which is scooped daily. What is going on here? I never know when I'll turn around and find a pee spot. We have to put a blanket on the plastic when guests come over, but if we step outside for even a minute she will have peed on the blanket. She only pees when we're not in the room, as if she knows it's wrong. I've tried everything the internet and vet suggests to no avail. Please help! How can I put an end to this?